Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rate My Professor


RATE MY PROFESSOR

I just got my first bad review on the website Rate My Professor.  But, before I want to contest that rating, I have a few other observations about WWW.RateMyProfessor.com. 

When I was an undergraduate student…back in the stone age…we didn’t have the luxury of sitting with our computers or smart phones and seeing what our peers had to say about a professor in whose class we were about to enroll.  Instead, a group of us would sit around a table in our student union and throw out instructor’s names.  Then there would be give-and-take about who to avoid like the plague, who’s class you wanted to take, and all of the other “dirt” you would need to know.  In retrospect, there was a lot more quality in the “reviews” than what you see now posted on the computer.  To me, it’s analogous to having a face-to-face discussion with a friend versus sending that same person an e-mail.  The e-mail gives you a lot of “surface structure” but not much “deep structure.”  At least, that’s how the sociolinguists would describe it.

While I don’t have any data to support this, it seems to me the bulk of RMP reviews are done by undergraduates.  If this is true, you stand a much better chance of being rated by your students than if you teach graduate courses.  Again, this is only speculation on my part, but I think the undergraduate/graduate ratio is probably close to 8:1.  Again, this is only my best guess.  It could even be higher.  Maybe it’s closer to a 20:1 ratio.  The reason that I even bring this up is because I don’t know many graduate students who think of their professors as “hot”, one of the scoring options on RMP.  Undergrads are driven by hormones.  Most graduate students have their hormonal needs already met.  Or, maybe it’s just sour grapes.  I’ve never had a student rate me as “hot” (although my wife frequently rates me as “hot”…especially when I make a great dinner for her!).

So, how accurate are the RMP reviews?  Again, I don’t have any hard data to support my belief that I think they’re pretty accurate.  By accurate, I mean accurate at the extreme ends of the scale.  If you continually get stellar reviews, you’re probably a damn good teacher.  If, on the other hand, you get comments like “the worst teacher I’ve ever had,” you had better look good and hard at yourself in the mirror.  Something is wrong and your students deserve better.  For the bulk of professors, we probably fall somewhere between these two extremes and that’s where any type of teacher-rating system is tricky to interpret.  An example of how one organization is trying to get around this rating dilemma is the teacher evaluation system being pushed by the Rhode Island Department of Education.  If you do a lot of work in schools and have seen a lot of teachers, it takes one only a matter of minutes by doing a walkthrough to determine who the good versus bad teachers happen to be.  RIDE, however, in its attempt to quantify these data, is implementing a system where every teacher in the building gets a series of thorough…if not mind-numbing…evaluations.  The system is so cumbersome that it is destined to collapse under its own weight and it will certainly be unsustainable in its present form.  Why do it?  Simply to identify the poorest teachers in a building.  (As if the principal didn’t already know who these individuals are.)  If RMP was interested in objectifying their data, they could follow RIDE’s lead. 

Which brings me to my original comment about my negative review.  It was easy for me to determine the student that supplied the rating.  I only had one person drop from my roster last year.   It was an interesting case.  Of a graduate class of 30, she was easily the weakest.  On virtually all of the multiple measures I use to evaluate students, she ranked near the bottom on all.  She never participated in class discussions.  What most worried me, however were her abysmal writing skills.  My philosophy regarding writing is that we are all amateurs practicing our craft and there’s room for improving on all party’s part…if we are willing to work on it.  In this student’s case, the skills were well below even the lowest benchmarks.  In a profession where being able to write clearly is paramount, in good conscience, she and I needed to sit down and work out a plan where her writing had a chance.  I made this offer…agreeing to work with her at her convenience.  My offer was rebuffed.  She also needed to be excused from several class sessions due to a medical procedure.  I have always had, and continue to have, a policy of trusting students in these instances.  I never ask for a doctor’s excuse.  Medical issues are sometimes sensitive and it’s frankly none of my business as to why a student needs to be treated.  So, to make a long story short, I tried to bend over backwards to help this individual.  In the end, however, she still wasn’t cutting it.  As I recall, I may have counseled her to drop the course, take care of her medical issues, I would work with her on her writing, and she could re-enroll the following year.  As I later learned…after reading her review…this isn’t what she expected.  Instead, she lambasted me and made me look like a heartless egotist.  That night, after reading her review, I had trouble sleeping, thinking about what she had said.  I couldn’t let her skewed view of the world and my professionalism go unanswered.  I logged on to RMP and requested a chance to rebut her rating.  Suprisingly, several days later, I saw that her review had been taken down.  I’m not sure what prompted this action, but I felt vindicated.  My point in belaboring all of this, is that there are times, when reviews are more a matter of perception than truth.  Therein lies the weakness of the RMP system.  It’s a good thing to keep in mind.  I suppose we all need to remember that it’s not a perfect world out there…especially in the world of higher education and specifically what students expect from professors and professors from students.

February 4, 2012  


No comments:

Post a Comment