Saturday, March 3, 2012

Unions


This post is probably going to raise more controversy than I anticipated but I’m putting it out there and you can decide for yourself where you stand on unions.  Let me say that I firmly believe that unions have served a valuable function in America’s past.  This is especially true in blue-collar jobs where company managers and executives sometimes have a tendency to overrun their employees with roughshod labor practices.  But, we’re not talking blue-collar jobs, today.  We’re talking about higher education specifically and education in general. 

Once per year, around tax time, the reoccurring question that comes to my mind is “What union benefits have I derived from my union membership?”  Or more specifically, over the course of my higher education career, what has almost $20,000 in union dues achieved?”  ($500.00 per year X 39 years.)

This same feeling creeps into my soul during the December holiday season.  That’s when our union holds it’s annual holiday party to which all union members are invited.  For some reason, I’ve always felt that the party is the union’s way of justifying it’s biweekly deduction from my paycheck.  Maybe that’s my own issue but I have a high degree of confidence in my gut level feeling and my intuition and that’s how I feel.  Frankly, I would feel much better if the party expenses were donated to some worthwhile charity…say for the homeless or some soup kitchen.  At least I would know that my money’s doing some good instead of expanding the waistlines of my coworkers.

My wife is a public school teacher, just as I was at one point in my career.  She, too, pays a chunk of her salary to support her union.  And while her union is instrumental in negotiating district contracts, they are more active in protecting underperforming teachers who give a bad name to the teaching profession. 

But back to higher education.  There have been two points in my professional career where unions could have supported me.  In each case, they failed miserably.  The first case was when I was chair of our department and I had a faculty member threaten to file a frivolous lawsuit against me because of a scheduling disagreement.  While I’m not permitted to discuss the details of this case because I signed a non-disclosure agreement to settle it, let me simply say that had this faculty member been employed in any other type of business, he/she would have been fired on the spot.  The union failed to support my position.  Indeed, it was the college administration that soothed the roiled waters and not the union!

The second case occurred much later.  I had returned to the faculty and had a student who had lost her job as a public school teacher.  Because she hadn’t completed her college coursework, she received a grade of “incomplete.”  She lost her certification and claimed I (the college) was the cause.  Again, the union never came to my aid.  Instead, it was the college lawyer who was there to support me. 

I know of other cases that haven’t directly involved me, where faculty members were so incompetent that attempts have been made to relieve them of their teaching assignments.  Parents, students, and lawyers have all pressed their cases against these faculty members.  In each instance, the union has chosen what I perceive as the wrong side.  How can I be expected to support such an organization that acts in direct opposition to everything that I hold sacred?

I don’t consider these instances to be issues of labor vs. management or faculty vs. administration.  Instead, I think it’s right vs. wrong.  Most of us know, intuitively, when something is morally wrong.  How then, can we be expected to support such an organization?

I’m waiting for the day when our union officials step forward and publish a yearly summary of how it has improved the education of our students.  After all, that’s why we are in this business.  I think smaller class size is one proactive thing the union has done for us.  There must be others.  Let’s hear a discourse on this topic.  And keep the propaganda mumbo-jumbo out of it.  After all, you’re dealing with an intellectual elite constituency.

A Postscript

I just finished reading Walter Isaacson’s book entitled Steve Jobs.  In it, starting on page 544, Isaacson describes Job’s 2010 private meeting with President Obama.  Job’s went on to describe to the President how teacher’s are crippled by union work rules.  Until unions are broken, he said, there “was almost no hope for education reform.”  Teachers should be treated as professionals and principals should be able to hire and fire teachers depending upon how good they are.  He then went on to tell about how absurd it was that American classrooms were still based on the model of the instructor lecturing to a class and using a single textbook.  (Take note college professors!) Isaacson also described Job’s disappoint with Obama’s leadership style. 

My reason for even mentioning all of this is that I don’t believe business executives know much about education, just as education professors don’t know much about business.  We should stay out of each other’s way.  I do find it compelling, however, that more and more individuals are questioning unions’ effectiveness.  And, it befuddles me why unions aren’t more concerned about the quality of instruction instead of supporting faculty members who have no business being college professors.  

1 comment:

  1. They Unions should have mechanisms protecting the majority of their members from the minority of incompetent members, self-cleaning mechanism. I think they all assume it is the administrators' job to initiate dismissal procedures against a poorly performing teacher or professor. In fact most contracts have clauses allowing for that. But in practice, it is very difficult for management to do. The unions tend to believe it is the managers' problem; that the latter are incompetent. But it is not. The unions are , unfortunately loosing the battle over the public opinion, precisely because none of them have develop the self-cleansing mechanisms. There are no disciplinary boards, no court of peer-review of performance. Teacher unions must look into how medical and law bar associations conduct their business.
    With all that, I believe people should have the right to organize. There is a certain clarity and transparency about working on a unionized campus, which often is lacking in other places.

    ReplyDelete